Sunday, March 17, 2013

Russell's Advice

     As teachers, we don't go into this profession blindly; we know it is a calling and a career that is not meant for everyone. We are education warriors hoping to impact the lives of students each year. It isn't always easy and we aren't always successful in making sure our students turn out okay, but what matters the most is that we care about them, we love them, and we try to make a difference.

     Beverly and I, and the other teachers Russell had during his time in middle school, all tried to do just that. Despite all of our efforts, our plans didn't end up saving him.   

     I told you in my last blog, I decided to ask Russell that if he could give any advice to kids like him who frequent my office and have similar home lives like he had, what would he say to them? I told him about a student at my campus who reminds me a lot of him, and it is my hope that when she leaves our school, she turns out okay. I wasn't sure how or if he would have any advice, but his reply proved otherwise. I won't retype his entire letter, but here is Russell's advice to kids:

"I think that you could help her by showing her that you care. I think that she's angry because of her home life & doesn't get enough love. I think that you should keep talking to her. Maybe pull her out to see how she's doing. I don't know, but if you just talk to her when she's getting in trouble, she might think that's the only time that y'all can talk about things. She's 14, still real young, so it could be who's she's chilling with. I would never admit it to my mom when she said it, but friends influence each other. I chilled with older cats & my brain was like a sponge, soakin up the game. Part of it could be from her just wanting to be accepted, you know? If I could give some advice to her or kids like her I would say...that one day they'll regret all of these things that they're doing now. Stay in school because that's the foundation they'll build their adult lives on. These days you can't do anything without at least a GED. I would tell them to stay out of the streets. Go to the Rec, get involved with sports, or anything that will keep them busy. I'd tell them that one day if they don't change the path they're taking, they'll be where I'm at. I had a bad home life, but I know that if I would've stayed out of the streets & kept playing football, I wouldn't be here. I hope that they do stay out of trouble, because I don't want to see anyone in here, especially when it could be avoided.

     No, as teachers we can't save them all, but we can sure try!


No comments: