Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Russell's Letter

     When I first sent the letter off, I asked my husband if he thought Russell would write me back. Jim said, "Lisa, out of all the things that Russell has, he has time. He'll write you back." And like I said in the last blog, one week later, there it was; a letter from him in my mailbox. And in his own words, here is Russell's letter:

Hey Mrs. Edmunds,

"How are you doing? Yes, I remember you and Mrs. Barfield both. I can honestly say that I thought my eyes were gonna fall out of my head when I read who it was writing me, because I didn't recognize the name on the envelope. I never in my wildest dreams would've thought that one of my teachers from North Richland Middle would be attempting to get in touch with me! I mean I wasn't always on my best behavior, but it is a pleasant surprise to know that some of you do care. I think it's cool you chose to keep up with me, because English was always my favorite and best course. I finished English 1-4 by the time I was 15 years old. When I went to TJC in '06 I earned 15 1/2 high school credits by the time I was released in '07, so at 15 I was in the 11th grade, going to L.D. Bell High School. I was pretty proud of myself on that end. But unfortunately I ended up getting locked up again. I've got my G.E.D. now, I got it about 2 years ago in December. I also got all my high school credits, and I passed all my TAKS tests. But I don't know what happened with the diploma I was supposed to get. But I finished all of it though when I was in county. But anyways, education is good though. I haven't tried it yet, but I think they even pay for college in here too! I'm not sure what I would want to learn, but it sounds good either way." 
     Russell goes on to ask about school, and if I knew his cousins who went to North Richland. I knew one of them; she was on our team. He continues, "Well, as for me, as you know I signed for a 24 year sentence and they sent me to "Clemens" unit over in Brazoria, TX. That's a "youngster" unit, it has a pod for minors, there was about 100 of us under 18. Well, I stayed there for a little over a year, but since I had been getting into trouble, they sent me to this disciplinary unit. I haven't been in trouble for over a year and a 1/2 now or just about. I'm older now and not as young as when I first came in, and I've learned that I don't have to do my time the hard way. I've been in this unit for about 14 months. I just turned 19 on June 2nd."
     He just turned 19! Still just a kid in my eyes. As I read this to Jim, I could feel my eyes welling up as that same thought kept running through my head. The one that repeats over and over that he is still just a kid. A kid that made a horrible decision. "My family is doing allrite, but it seems like they don't have the time for me anymore. It's that "out of sight & out of mind" thing I guess. I'm not mad at them though, because I put myself here, so I can't go cryin when things don't go my way." 
     When we had Russell in 6th grade, he had a younger sister. In his letter he tells me that he now has four more younger sisters that his mom is taking care of by herself. He goes on to tell me about the friends that keep up with him every so often, sending him letters when they have the time. In my original letter, I told Russell that Mrs. Barfield and I would like to come see him, but I figured we would have to be put on his visitation list first. I wasn't exactly sure how that worked though. Here is the last part of his letter.

"I would really love to see you and Mrs. Barfield both, but would you really want to drive all the way up here to see me? I'm literally on the edge of Texas! Not as far as I was when I did time in Houston, but it's still a good 3 hour drive I think. If you would though, I would love to see you, I just need your names and addresses to put you on the list. Once I get that, I'll put you on the list ASAP!!!" I have to admit, that part made me smile! As I read the close of his letter, I couldn't help but to let the tears fall. "Well, I'll go ahead and close this out, so I can send it out. I just want to tell you thanks for caring. You and Mrs. Barfield both. This letter really meant a lot. I hope to hear from you soon."

Sincerely,
Russell

     Beverly received her letter from Russell a few days after this one. He told her that he hasn't had any visitors in 2 1/2 years. We couldn't believe it, but maybe it's not that hard to believe? I don't know, but I'm glad we're going to see him nonetheless. I think connections are important, and if we can make this connection with Russell regardless of the circumstances that brought him to this place, it will have been worth it.
     In my second letter to him, I asked him what went wrong in his life that this is now his home for the next 22 years. His response was simple, but honest.
     Until next time...


No comments: